- Create an animation block in the vartree. A graph is automatically created.
- Open the graph (ctrl + o)
- Go in the graph viewer, press the tab key then type "Init", select the Maya one and press the "enter" key to validate
- Create an OpenMayaFile node (follow the same procedure). If the "Init" node is already selected, the "OpenMayaFile" node will be automatically connected.
- If the two nodes are not connected, drag a line from "next" to "previous". The nodes are connected.
- Double-click on the node "OpenMayaFile" in order to select which Maya file must be opened.
- Click on the "..." to select the file.
- Add a "select" node and connect it. This node allows to select the object(s) you want to export in .abc
- Double-click on the "select" node and edit the "Nodes" field. Enter the name of the objects you will export (here "cube" and "sphere") which are in the selected Maya file. (this field is automatically filled when used with the variables in the vartree).
- Create an "ExportAbc" node, connect it to the "Select" node ("nodes" to "nodesList"), choose the path and give a name to save the assets.
With this method, you have to give a name for each object you want to export. Keep the same order.
- Next, set the alembic options. Don't forget to uncheck the "Export all nodes in one file".
- Add an "AssetsOut" node. Connect it. This node allows you to log these exported abc files in the Kurtis asset manager database when you publish the graph. These files will be available for any Kurtis users.
- Next, add an "Execute" node. Execute the graph by right clicking on the "Execute" node.
(We will explain in another tutorial how to use the "Execute" node according to the vartree)
- All the nodes become green, you can now publish the graph and the .abc as assets.
You can see the result of the export in the asset viewer or by right-clicking on the "ExportAbc" node (but here you will only see the last cache)
or display the asset manager and right-click on one of the asset and pick "Open Asset".
- click on the little eye to display the alembic viewer.
- warning : there is a little annoying bug that prevent Kurtis to erase the file if it's open in the viewer even if you close the viewer.
workaround : open another abc file if you want to replace the file (or quit Kurtis).
- you can now publish your graph and the assets to make them
available to anyone.